Looking for a decent free XML Editor, I stumbled upon Greg’s XML Editor. A nice, lightweight, free XML Editor that seems rather nice for the application I have.
It has, though, some minor faults, like the source does not compile („text_replace.png“ missing), and also the built application has a problem with always displaying 2 nodes (on the left side) for every file added, adding yet another node each time you work in the tree on the left.
So I fixed those (really minor) issues, included Rix’s patch for schemas.
Still, 99.5% of the work was done by Greg, with most of the rest probably done by Rix.
The fixes I provide are:
- Rix’s patch for properly using schemas with a target namespace
- providing a text_replace.png file (which was missing and, since I am so proud of my Gimp-artwork, I included it in the menu as well)
- updating UpdateChildViews in MasterViews.cs, removing the (unnecessary?) this.AddTreeNode(document) and the enclosing foreach loop – now nodes in the left area are no longer duplicated
- providing support for Deutsche Umlaute (like ö, ü, ä) and ß – hope it didn’t break anything else, anyhow, this is easy to change: it is in file DocumentService.cs, I added System.Text.Encoding.Default to the Load method
Also, I have not updated the about box or anything. It seems like there haven’t been any updates to the project as of recently, so submitting my changes seems not to make too much sense, that is why I post them here. Also note the GPL under which the code was originally published.
It was pretty quick work (only used the editor for a very short while) but I suppose others might face the same problems.
Find the original code from Greg here on Codeplex